Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas 2008


We had a wonderful Christmas this year. We were fortunate in that we were able to have all four of our children, assorted spouses and grandchildren with us for much of the holiday season. It was fun, a little chaotic, more fun, tiring -- but fun! As our family grows to include wonderful in-laws and their families, we are evolving our family traditions into something uniquely ours. It's an interesting and sometimes challenging journey.

This year was unique in that we had a white Christmas -- whiter than usual. In fact we got so much snow that we weren't able to get everyone together to eat and open gifts until late afternoon on Christmas Day. It was definitely worth the wait though to have everyone together.

We began our gift exchange with a memory from my childhood. When I (Nancy) was young, my Grandfather Miller was big into Christmas. One year he decided to give his wife and three married children each an identical gift. He had wrapped the rather large boxes identically and placed them in a row. He had the recipients stand behind their box for a group picture after which they opened the boxes and discovered: vacuums!

This year I decided to get the kids camping gear because they have all indicated a desire to camp with their families. Four of them needed something specific, so I purchased four, wrapped them in similar boxes and paper and lined them up. I took the recipients pictures and then they opened the boxes and discovered: sleeping bags!

The most enjoyable part of Christmas for John and I was to enjoy seeing our kids and grandkids all together having fun together. The grandkids were especially fun to watch as their unique personalities are beginning to be revealed.

We had hoped to start a family tradition of spending a day and a night up at the cabin, but were unable to do so because too many of us were trying to get over bad colds. Instead we stayed
close to home. We did venture out to Rock Canyon Park to do some sledding. John said he hasn't had so much fun in years and years!



Wow! Sleeping Bags!


1 comment:

Katydid said...

Hello heloooooo I finally got your blog on my list very good. Good job on the 3 column template. You will have to keep up with it. I want to see pics from your Asian ward activities too.